Sunday, June 9, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

Some of the ways I choose to contribute to my family is through cutting costs and going back to the basics.  As a stay at home mom, it makes me feel like I am doing something to contribute to the family finances.  One of the major ways I have learned to do this is by eliminating all chemical cleaners from my home.  I do this for cost effectiveness as well as reducing my families exposure to harmful polutants.  Instead I clean with good old vinegar and baking soda.  I also use Norwex microfiber cloths.

Laundry Soap is one of the major costs in household cleaning products.  Especially with a young family; I think I probably do 6 loads of laundry a week.  And they are jam packed full!  The great news is you can make your laundry soap for 2 cents a load.  I have used a couple of different recipes over the past couple of years.  The homemade liquid soaps are more economical.  But I like to use a powder now.  I like the way it washes and the fact that there is less mess in making it.

Since I switched to this new recipe, my grandmother has commented several times on the brightness of my whites.  I take this as a compliment as she is a real laundry perfectionist.

I have lately been using this recipe from Stone Gable Blog:

http://www.stonegableblog.com/2012/04/stonegable-laundry-soap.html

I exclude the Downey Unstopables as I do not like to use synthetic fragrances in my home.  My girls struggle with eczema and therefore I stay away from any fragrances on their skin.


1~ 4lb 12 oz box of Borax
1~ 4 lb box of Arm And Hammer Baking Soda
1~ 3 lb 7 oz box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1~ 3lb  container Oxy Clean
4 bars Sunlight Laundry Soap, grated (Or 3 Bars of Lindas)



Grate bars of soap and then put them into the food processor.  Pulse the soap until they are small and easily dissolved in the laundry.  Dump soap and all remaining ingredients into a double bagged garbage bag.  Mix thoroughly and store in a 2 gallon container.  This is what the soap looks like.  Use 1 tbsp per load.  And 2 tbsp when washing cloth diapers.  


This recipe is so easy and does such a great job of cleaning the laundry.  When I first found it, I could not stop telling people about it.  I have even converted my Mom and she is the queen of convenience.  I hope I have inspired you to simplify your life and save some money by making your  own laundry soap.





1 comment: